Pages

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

May I Help You>

“Mom, when Daddy brings the pizza home can I be the server? I want to practice serving.”

Not sure what her daughter meant, Allissa questioned the child. “What do you mean?”

“You know, I want to practice being the one to give out the food and seeing what everyone wants. Maybe if I get good enough at serving, I can go to one of those places where they feed people and help give out the food.”

Allissa realized her seven-year-old daughter meant a homeless shelter. They had spoken about visiting to help out as a home school project during the Thanksgiving season, but because unforeseen circumstances, they were unable to follow through with the idea.

Months later, the desire to serve was still strong in her daughter’s heart. In her childish mind, practicing would help her become “good enough” so she could one day serve the way she wanted.

When was the last time you asked your Heavenly Father if you could practice serving? There's plenty to do – He just needs a few “good servers” who purposely look for ways to meet the needs of others.

May God place the desire to serve in our heart so strongly we will look for ways to meet needs, even if it means going outside our comfort zone!

1 comment:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Thought provoking post. I think that it can be unnerving to ask God when and where we can serve...what if He wants us to do something we don't want to do? I know that the fear is not from God, and that only with Him can the fear be overcome. Besides, God will be with me when I help, so there really is nothing to fear is there?