Pages

Friday, February 9, 2007

Hey you - with the hind's feet!

One of my favorite books is one a friend gave me over 30 years ago called Hind's Feet In High Places by British Author, Hannah Hurnard.

It's an allegory, written in a similar style as John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, detailing the journey of the shepherdess, Much Afraid, to the high places When she "arrives" at the end of her spiritual journey, she receives a new name exemplifying her new inner nature free of fear. Her crippled feet are whole and her disfigured mouth healed. Best of all, she can run freely in the mountains of the High Places with her Friend.

I had not read it for many years, but as I began work on my latest devotional project, I felt the need to revisit it. I think it's because I identify so strongly with her journey.

At the very core of my being, I have battled with insecurity - fear that I'd never really be good enough and God would "use" me and then drop me if I was too needy or demanded too much of His time or energy. For the "Mrs. Valiant's" of this world who have never experienced this, it probably seems like an insignificant or silly fear.

"Just trust Him." I've heard people say. But for one whose trust was damaged at a tender young age by the ones they ought to be able to trust, well, isn't an easy task.

But God is patient! He lovingly works with each of us to overcome those damaged parts of our heart - our old nature - until we can release the hurt, the pain, the shame. Until we can finally reach our own High Places of intimate life with Him. He constantly works to remove any and all spots from His Beloved until we are a perfect match for Him!

I thank God for His gentle reminders of my own past journey away from fear - it helps me be more patient and compassionate for others as I become a mentor on the way for them.

1 comment:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Trust can be hard. I think it is far easier said than done, especially if (as you have said) your trust has been damaged/hurt/broken. Yes, thankfully God is patient...and that is such a wonderful thing.