Pages

Tuesday, February 27, 2007



"If I'd abandon all that seeks to make my faith informed and chic, could You, would You, show Yourself to me?"~ Nichole Nordeman~


He sat in his wheelchair in the middle of the frozen food aisle, his mouth twisted in a grimace. Spittle dribbled on his chin, as he cocked his head to the side and gazed up at the many flavors of ice cream. The air circulating in the large store failed to whisk away the slight urine odor that clung to his clothing.

Modern day Pharisees walked down the same aisle, filling their carts with frozen foods, giving the man a wide berth. No one stopped; no one bothered to ask if he needed help. He was a nonentity, a nothing in their eyes.

The real question is: “Would I recognize Him if He did show himself to me?” He shows Himself to us every day. It’s easy to see Him in the beautiful things like nature and music. We can see Him in the well-crafted story or in the painting of a skilled artist.

But do we recognize Him in the poor, the lonely and the needy around us every day? Whenever we feed, clothe, bathe, comfort, visit or help someone who is overlooked or ignored, we are seeing and ministering to Him. (Matthew 25:40 The Message)

If I abandon all that makes my faith fashionable, popular, sophisticated or “acceptable”, then and only then will I be able to really see Him and minister effectively to Him.

8 comments:

Delete said...

The real question is: “Would I recognize Him if He did show himself to me?”

What a great question. I believe if Jesus came back as a human and was walking among us, he would be one of the poor, one of the needy. He would humble himself to be of that level. He would not be among the chic. It's so true that if we don't see everyone and we walk by those needed our ministried, we might miss him.

Blessings!

Lori said...

Bonnie this is good and convicting. I try to say I would help, but I can not tell you for sure. I pray the Lord cultivates those traits in me.

Blessings.

Christine said...

So simply and beautifully said, thank you for posting this. All it takes is humility and desire to see Jesus, and we can find him in the simplest of places.

Denise said...

You bless my heart, thanks.

heidi @ ggip said...

Point taken!

Anonymous said...

Great question - would we recognize Him? Hmm...would we even stop to try?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Crystal said...

Oh Bonnie, this is so good and so very convicting. Your take and twist on the quote is wonderful... may I say ouch?

Thanks so much for sharing.

Cindy Swanson said...

Wow...just when I think all the angles to this quote have been covered, Bonnie, you come up with this one. All about how God shows himself to us. Good stuff, Bonnie.