Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Doing what you can

When we moved to our new community here in Maryland, I began looking for a job, partly to supplement our income and partly to get me out of the house since my husband and I were first time empty nesters.

God opened a wonderful door at a local garden center to be a full time florist. I had little floral training, but they were willing to train me, so I took the job. Though I had a college degree and could have gotten a much higher paying job, the Lord knew what I needed. I absolutely loved it. Even on busy days, I felt more like I was "playing" than working.

My boss was a top-notch businesswoman, though rough around the edges. Though she was in her 70's, she was capable and great to work for. I learned a lot and soon could hold my own in competition with other florists. There was a "family" feeling among the employees as well, from the garden equipment mechanic, to the landscapers, florists nursery, greenhouse and shop personnel.

Then the unthinkable happened. Ann died from lung cancer. All of us felt the sense of loss and disorientation that comes with the death of a dear friend. But preparing her funeral flower arrangements helped because it gave me something to "do." I didn't feel so helpless in the face of death because I could bring comfort with the work of my hands even when the words failed me.

There are many situations in life out of my control, but by focusing on what I can do rather than on what I can't control, God has helped me through those times. Even when I can do nothing else, I can always pray. Thank God, He never leaves us alone and helpless.

1 comment:

Darlene Schacht said...

Yes, we can always pray. Sometimes we don't know what to do or say to someone, but prayer is one thing we can do.