Pages

Monday, January 29, 2007

He's back...Hurricane Avery Strikes Again

My son and his wife visited again this weekend. Actually, we think Dave has found a job in a nearby community so they'll be moving here from upstate NY soon.

It's a good thing since I haven't had the opportunity to see my 2 year old grandson very much. Now I'll be able to do the Grandma things like babysit, drag my photo album everywhere and spoil the little guy!

Of course, while Dave and Julie were here, they left Avery with me for about an hour in order to go to our local WalMart for a few groceries and in that one hour, he dumped my birdseed on the floor, got into my daily journal and scribbled on a few pages and other little things - all while I tried to prepare supper.

Whew! needless to say, I was ecstatic when the kids returned. But to keep things in perspective, I reminded myself that he's not quite 2 years old yet and I had missed out on so much of his growing up so far because of the distance separating us. I'd much rather have him close by, than to miss watching him grow!

So much of our lives are about perspectives. If we look at things through a black cloud, everything looks dark and dingy. We may even become depressed and moody. But when we are able to look at things through the Spirit's eyes, things look totally different - often different than we ever expected. He sees things clearly - as they really are, not distorted by emotional filters or tunnel vision.

Things that aggravate and annoy us, may be "gifts" in disguise that draw us closer to our Heavenly Father. It's hard to see that while in the middle of struggles, but if we can slip on His lenses even for just a moment and see the situation from His perspective, it becomes easier to bear. Sometimes we just have to trust that God hasn't abandoned us and is working all things together for our good - a real toughie.

I may not like the annoyances of life or the hard things I have to go through, but I love my Heavenly Father. No matter what happens in life, I'd much rather have Him around, close to me, than to be far away from Him!

No comments: