Pages

Monday, January 22, 2007

Bread, Anyone?

Cast your bread upon the waters , for you will find it after many days. (Ecclesiastes 11:1 NKJV)

I woke up with this verse in my head this morning. Since I didn't know the reference I had to look it up and was surprised to find it was in Ecclesiastes, a book I seldom read especially if I need comfort or guidance.

I wondered why God had reminded me of this particular verse, especially in light of my current indecision about my part time job. Going to my favorite online reference tool, www.blueletterbible.org , I looked it up in several commentaries. What I found amazed me!

The ancient Egyptians had a unique method of planting along the banks of the Nile and other marshy areas. During parts of the year, these waters overflowed their banks. The farmers would take a boat and toss the grain seed over the side into the flooded areas. When the waters receded, the outer hull of the seed had softened and readily sprouted in the moist soil along the river banks. Over the dry growing season, the grain developed to healthy, mature grain plants ready to be harvested before the next flood season.

Light bulb moment! I "got" what God was saying to me. For over two years, I have been serious in my writing. I published my first Bible novel and writing regularly for Reflections www.christian-writing-career.com and a few other online magazines, gaining recognition as a writer but no payment. In July, I finally decided to take the leap of faith and write full time, leaving my floral arranging job.

God indicated He would begin to prosper me as a writer because of my trust in Him and my continued obedience to His call to write. A few speaking engagements opened up and I continued to write for online publications, but nothing else seemed to be happening. I compromised my decision and took a part-time job in December.

Though I felt unsettled in the job, I was unable to let it go. Until now. God showed me He does have plans for me as a writer, but I need to have patience to allow the seeds that have been tossed onto the waters to soften and become embedded in moist soil. They will sprout and be harvested in due time - His time.

I gave notice at the job this morning and feel a tremendous weight lifted from my shoulders. I'm ready to hold to my decision to write full time, casting the fruit of my labor, His words, onto the waters and see how He causes them to sprout, grow and come back to me in the harvest time. God is good!

No comments: