Pages

Friday, February 8, 2008

1940's Applesauce Cale

While sorting through my mom's recipes, I found one she had received from my aunt in her own handwriting. It is for Applesauce Cake, a favorite my aunt used to make for family picnics on Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day. I know the recipe is at least 70 years old because it was written in pencil on the back of a calendar page from September 1940.

My Aunt Alice lived in the house where I grew up until 1946, when she and Uncle Edwin sold it to my parents. They purchased a home less than a mile away which had lots of room to plant Christmas trees. Their spacious front and back yard was perfect for family picnics with grilled hot dogs and burgers, potato salad , peppermint tea and of course, Aunt Alice's Applesauce cake with cream cheese frosting. the tree grove provided ample space for hide and seek and other childhood games with my cousins.

When I got married, she passed the recipe on to me along with a pink depression glass cake plate which I use whenever I serve this yummy cake. But it was a real treat to discover it written down in her handwriting. I will be scrapping this recipe for sure along with some old photos of family times for my grandchildren.

Aunt Alice's Applesauce Cake

1/2 cup Crisco
1 cup gran. sugar
1 cup seeded raisins
1 cup applesauce sweetened for table use
1 teaspoon soda
2 Tablespoons hot water
1 Egg
[You can add 2 Tablespoons citron]
2 cups flour
1 teas. cinnamon
1/2 teas. allspice
1/2 teas. nutmeg
1/2 teas. salt

Blend Crisco, sugar and egg. Add raisins and applesauce. Sift flour, salt and spices and add in several portions. Before the last flour is added, stir in the soda dissolved in the hot water. Beat well.

Pour into greased and floured tube pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes at 350 degrees or until done.

Cool on rack and remove from pan.

No comments: