Pages

Friday, October 5, 2007

Where have all the hamsters gone?

"Hey Mommy!" My daughter called to me excitedly. "The hamsters have babies!"

Hmmm. They weren't there the night before so apparently we ended up buying a pregnant girl hamster at the store to replace one that died. Sigh! Just what I needed - more hamsters to take care of.

Throughout the day, the kids ogled their little mama through the plastic cage. I even caught them trying to reach in several times and scolded them. "Leave the poor mamma alone!"

Mamma hamster made a little nest in the far corner of the cage and covered her babies up with shavings just so we couldn't see them. She was fun to watch. But she must have had her fill of ogling eyes because the next morning when we came downstairs and peeked into her cage, THE BABIES WERE GONE!

Just to be sure, I removed her from the cage and cleaned the whole thing thoroughly. No babies. I wondered about it and talked to a few friends about it until I learned the awful truth...Hamsters will eat their young if they feel there is danger lurking around. That momma ATE her babies! EWWWWW, GROSS!

It still makes me sick to think about it. But what makes me even sicker is the fact that Christians tend to "eat" other Christians. We "roast" our preachers and youth pastors for Sunday lunch. We criticize and complain about everything at church that doesn't go the way we think it should. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the dear older saints say they want to minister to the young people, but they can't come to church with tattoos, piercings and black lipstick or nail polish.

Father, help us to open our hearts to one another in love. When one person hurts may others gather around in support. Help us not to pit one against another, but to learn to work together to bring glory to Your name and to further Your kingdom! Amen.

No comments: