Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The attack of the killer glue stick...



I'm up to my eyeballs in card stock and glue as I work without ceasing on my niece's wedding invitations.

At first they were going to get married next summer which would have given me lots of time to make 180 invitations. The design Tara picked out was relatively simple - a tri-fold card which opens in the middle of the front. Inside is a vellum insert with all the information on it. On the outside is an embossed calla lily with the scripture from I Corinthians 13:13, matted with a pastel piece of card stock (see photo).

Now they've moved up the wedding date to Thanksgiving weekend so I have to work at warp speed to get them all done. So far I have 50 completed.

In the meantime, I also have another order for 25 party invitations to finish, housekeeping to do, tomatoes to freeze, applesauce to make, children's ministry on Wednesday evening and Sunday morning to prepare for and a host of other mundane things to do.

I learned a long time ago to pace myself and not to take on too much, but every so often the earth shifts through no fault of my own and all of a sudden everything is happening at once. Those are the days I've learned to call on God for His strength and help to do what needs to be done for that day.

I make a list of the day's chores and prioritize them, then pray over them that God will help me to do what is necessary and give me strength to do it. What doesn't get done will just have to wait for tomorrow.

Sometimes it leads to extra gray hair and some minor (?) frustrations, but as long as I start my day by taking time to nurture my relationship with God, I can get through it with His help.

So for today I will do battle with my glue stick and let any unnecessary things go til tomorrow with a clear conscience, knowing God will help me to eventually get it all done.Then I'll stop and regroup, giving up any unnecessary activities so I don't shift into "Martha" mode again.

When I become disgruntled inside, everyone around me feels it. But when God and His presence fill me, that's what spills out. God, please let your spirit spill out from me today!

No comments: