Pages

Monday, April 9, 2007

She who has the most fabric wins...

Like the men in my life who love their big "toys" (i.e. snow blowers, lawn tractors, tools, etc,) I must confess, I love craft supplies - especially fabric.

When my children were small, I sewed clothes and toys for them, but it was really only an excuse to buy fabric. I loved to visit the mainline fabric stores and purchase supplies, but my favorite places were those out of the way fabric shops which were jumbled from floor to ceiling with ends of bolts, remnants and scrap fabric.

I could walk into one of those places and get lost for hours (you know the kind of store I mean - where you need to leave a trail of bread crumbs to find your way out again...) I loved shopping in Altoona with my mother-in-law at Roaring River Mills outlet. There was another place near us when we lived in Sweet Valley, PA.

Recently I discovered another such place in our little community. The woman who owns it goes south every winter and closes up shop from November to May. When she returns, she's only open one day a week, but it's a busy day for her. Her store is in an old restored barn and you can wander from area to area just gawking at all the cloth treasures.

This year it will be more fun than ever to visit her shop as I take my daughter, grand daughters and daughter-in-law in to see all the wondrous goodies she has - everything from real lamb's wool and spinning wheels to the more common bolts and ends of fabric I've come to love.

It's a good thing we have lots of room in our house or I may get lost wandering around our fabric stashes, lamenting the fact that I have no bread crumbs...

No comments: