Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2007

The fragrance is in the bruising...

Whew, what a week! I've filled in at my old job as a florist for several days, completed my income tax returns as well as my parents (yes, I'm a procrastinator!) and been sick in bed with a miserable cold. But, Thank God, I'm feeling better and back at the keyboard again.

Sunday, I'm scheduled to speak at my friend's church in Hagerstown, MD. God woke me up early this morning before all the grandkids got up to help me finish up the preparations for the morning message.

The theme for the service is the story in Luke 7 of the woman who anointed Jesus' feet with perfumed oil from the alabaster box. I've heard many messages on this passage, mostly dealing with the expense of the perfume, the love of this woman for Jesus in her selfless offering, etc.

As I prayed about what I could say that was different, I was struck by the idea that it wasn't only about the perfume or the act of anointing His feet she performed. She had broken down the walls of fear, anger and bitterness that kept Him out and was offering Him the crushed and bruised parts of herself.

He processed her offering, transforming her life into something beautiful and fragrant as He offered Her the forgiveness and acceptance she desperately needed from Him.

What a wonderful God we serve!

No comments: