Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Thirsty

O God, You are my God. I will look for You with all my heart and strength. My soul is thirsty for You. My flesh is weak wanting You in a dry and tired land where there is no water.” Psalm 63:1 NLV

Every so often my medical doctor will order a "fasting blood test" where I'm not allowed to have anything to eat or drink after midnight before the test the next day.Since the lab opens early, I usually make plans to be there by 7:30 or 8 so I don't need to "suffer" too long without something to eat or drink.

Most of the time, I don't need a drink of water overnight, but inevitably, those pre-test nights are the ones where I become conscious of the dryness of my mouth. The nights where I cannot have anything to drink are the ones where I crave water the most.

Thankfully, that cause of "dry mouth" is easily corrected at the local convenience store after leaving the medical center!

But it would seem that a similar thing happens in our spiritual lives, We don't miss God's presence until we are going through those desert-dry places where we can't sense his presence with us. Those are the times we realize how much we need him and we begin to hunger and thirst after his presence.

As much as we shy away from those dry, desert places, they are necessary to help us remember just how dependent we are on the Lord to sustain us. We need his presence each day. Without him we become weak and unable to go on through difficult circumstances where we may find ourselves.

Life happens. He doesn't cause the difficulties, but he will meet us in them, giving us his Living Water to satisfy our thirst for him.

Lord, help me to be aware of my thirst for you - not only when I'm going through the desert places in my life, but always! Amen.

No comments: