Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Taking Stock

Everyone should move at least once in their lifetime - it really helps put things into perspective.

For instance, one of my hobbies is to make and give homemade cards. Over the years, I have collected various paper crafting tools including rubber stamps, paper punches, a crimper, a light table and paper trimmer. Whenever I visit a craft store, I make a beeline for the paper aisle to see what is on special. Often I will use the 40% off coupon to buy a paper stack which contains 180 sheets of 12 x12 patterned paper - a real bargain!

When I began packing up my paper stash for our move, I found a wonderful box that was a perfect fit for my 12" x12" papers. I placed stack after stack in the box, until the 8 " high box was filled to capacity. Then I realized it didn't all fit - there was still about an inch thick slab of paper left over. So I figured I'd just keep the left overs out in case I felt like making some cards during my "rest periods" from packing.

After much searching, I found another box just the right size for my 8 1/2" x 11" card stock. This one was even taller than the first box. But sure enough when I filled the box to the top with card stock, I had some left. I didn't think I had THAT MUCH paper! Looks like I have a lot of cards to make before I buy any more paper...

It's a good thing God causes me to take stock of things at times - like counting my blessings. When I take time to really look at all the things He has done for me, I don't have room for depression, anxiety or loneliness inside. His joy fills my heart to overflowing so that there's no room for the negatives.

Taking stock of His blessings also reminds me not to "hoard" all His goodness for myself but to spread His joy around to others who need encouragement, comfort and a taste of His love.

Thanks Lord!

1 comment:

D said...

What a great way of explaining it! Something for me to think about as I go to sleep tonight.