Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

His Love Colors My Life





In "Other" Words

This week's quote is:

"In our lives the darkest times, the days that are bleak and black, add depth to every other experience. Like the dark bits of color in a mosaic, they add the contrast and shadows that give beauty to the whole, but they are just a small part of the big picture."

~ Amy Grant~
Mosaic: Pieces of My Life so Far



For the past two weeks, God has been using the darker colors of sorrow and grief to bring beauty to my personal mosaic, so today’s quote is so apropos to my situation.

My aging mother is in the last stages of Alzheimer’s. Over the last two weeks, her health has deteriorated so much that we are being forced to make some difficult decisions including separating my parents. Dad wants to continue on at the Assisted Living facility while mom now needs more skilled nursing care. She is not eating and is refusing medication so we must decide whether to continue rehab or call in Hospice.

In the midst of all the difficulties of the last two weeks, I took time out to attend our denomination’s Women’s Conference. Though I was hurting and exhausted, I decided to go since I had already paid for it.

During the worship time, He lightened the muted colors of my sadness with the brilliance of His presence as He comforted, lifted, and encouraged. The dark colors of my grief were interspersed with shining reminders of my mother’s faith and memories of happier days, as well as gilt-edged reminders of what awaits her when her suffering ends.

Coming home from the conference, I realized though the dark colors are still a part of my mosaic right now, the oppressive heaviness of their muted tones is gone. They are only a part of the whole picture creating the necessary contrast to bring out the true beauty of His face.

When I look around and see those who don't know Him, I weep. This world is blinded to the knowledge of the beauty of His Light that comforts, lifts and encourages. Their suffering must be oppressive indeed. So in the midst of my sorrow, Lord, I stop and pray for those around me who don't know Your Light. May You be a beacon shining into their darkness, turning their hearts toward You.


***

If you would like to join us today, simply blog about the quote on your site, then visit "extravagant grace" to read her take on the quote and to leave your link along with the other participants.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bonnie,

I am so sorry your mom is not doing well. I will add you and your family to our prayers today.

I am also glad you were lifting up by the conference. How wonderful that there is light in your dark place ~

Heather said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. This quote is close to home today for you and your example of praising God in these dark days gives hope to me!

Melissa said...

Having God's light shining in our darkness is definitely something to praise him for. I don't know how the world survives without it. . .

Thank you and God bless!

lori said...

Isn't it comforting to have those bits of 'light' even in the darkest of times...
~keeping you and your mom and dad in my prayers.
lori

Lisa said...

Bonnie, thanks so much for taking the time to share your take on this quote. Your transparency was tender and hopeful. Praise the Lord for those shining moments He's blessed you with over the past few weeks.

Congratulations on your book, too!

Denise said...

Bless your hurting heart. I am praying for your parents, and for you.

Anonymous said...

Praying that Jesus will shine through you during this time and that you will be a light to all those you come in contact with. May peace and comfort surround you and your family during this time.

Aunt Angie said...

Bonnie I am sorry about the heart struggle going on right now with your mom. You are right in your comment that "His light comforts". His light and love reveal in us the reality of Himself for others to see. I stand in prayer for you in this hour of need. May He strengthen your heart/soul/mind/body as these next days journey of decisions you face with your dad. In prayer----Love, Angie