Pages

Friday, January 16, 2009

Cold feet and warm hearts

The thermometer read -4 degrees Fahrenheit, though it felt like -21 when I took the dog out this morning.

"I'm only going to be on the porch for a few minutes. I don't need my boots," I reasoned.

So I zipped up my jacket and pulled my knitted cap over my ears. Oreo bounded off the porch happily into the snow eager to finish his business and get back inside.

As I turned toward the door again, I accidentally kicked my foot out of my blue fuzzy slipper, stepping into a small patch of snow on the deck floor. What a rude awakening! It took me 10 minutes inside the house to get my foot warm again.

As I rubbed my foot with a warm towel, the Lord reminded me He is always with me. Though my feet felt the chill of the outdoors through my slippers, they were still protected from the full force of the wintry cold. When I kicked off that covering, my foot became totally vulnerable to the cold.

Even though He cradles me in His loving embrace, I am not immune to the troubles of life in this world. I may still feel the pain of loss and heartache of the world's problems. It's when I slip out of His grasp and try to handle things on my own that I feel the full force of the icy chill of sin.

Father help me to stay snuggled in You so I can bear the harsh realities of the world that surround us daily. Amen!

No comments: