Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Building trust through the little things in life

“So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. Remember the great reward it brings you! Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that he has promised.” Hebrews 10:35-36 NLT

Several years ago, I was going through a dark place in my life. I felt emotionally drained and depressed, unsure if I would ever get out of such a deep pit of despair. My trust muscles were so atrophied at that point in my life, I had difficulty believing God could care about me, even though I had been a Christian for most of my life.

During that time, I had an appointment in a town about 40 miles from home. I arrived a little early, so I sat in my car, waiting and listening to a Christian radio station. They played a song I had never heard before, but the words brought a ray of hope into the darkness. I went into my appointment with a sense that I would make it through that current dark situation.

As I drove home that day, I tried to remember the words, the tune and the artist who sang the song. I thought maybe I could stop at the Christian bookstore on the way home and purchase the song. Nothing! I couldn't remember one word or even a bit of the tune. And I had no idea who sang it. The hope I had felt was snuffed out.

Because I was dealing with issues of trust during that time, it was important for me to see God's hand at work in my life. I needed to know that he cared for me in the darkness I faced. I prayed that he would somehow let me hear that song again, though I wasn't sure I'd know it if I heard it since I couldn't remember one thing about it.

But about 2 weeks later, parked in the same spot, waiting for another appointment, the station played the song again. Right away I knew it was the same song that had blessed me just 2 weeks before. So this time I grabbed some paper and wrote down the song title and artist - Never Alone by Damaris Carbaugh. It was such a little, but intensely personal, answer to prayer. It was one of many that the Lord used during that time of emotional healing to let me know he was there and he cared.

What a blessing that song has been to me in the years since that day. Its message still assures me I'm never alone, he's in my heart and will be my closest friend, no matter what kind of circumstances I find myself in - no matter how I feel - no matter how dark the way seems.

That answered prayer has helped to teach me to recognize God's care. He has been rebuilding my trust, brick by brick through the little answers to prayer - many of them seemingly insignificant to others, yet of vital importance to me to demonstrate his great love, patience and trustworthiness.

Thank you Father, for rebuilding my trust through the little things you do for me each day that show me how big your live really is! Amen.

No comments: